Thursday, May 10, 2012

How About Shutting Up Sometimes?!


So I went to one of my favorite discount stores on my lunch break today to pick up a few extra journals since I love to write the majority of my free time.  Picking out two of the cutest ones after deciding over five different designs, I approached the register and waited in line to pay for my items.  In the meantime, a few more customers lined up behind me to await their turns to purchase what they wanted or needed.  

The cashier is a new middle-aged man that's been employed at this particular store for about a month and appeared to always be pleasant and friendly towards not only me but all the customers from my observation; well that is until today.  He rang up my things and I paid him what was owed.  As he handed me my change, he felt the need to ask, "Aren't you a little mature to be buying journals?"  

For a few seconds I stood in disbelief as I watched him while holding my change in my hand.  A million and one remarks began to roll through my mind.  How dare he ask something so stupid and intrusive.  While it's true I was buying the journal for myself which is my right to do, for all he knew I could've been buying for my child (if I had one), a relative, a friend, etc.  When I realized that I was holding up the line, I told him that sometimes I need to vent and I had a reason to after his question.  He laughed it off with an "okay" and told me to have a nice one like he always does.  I took my bag from the counter and left without saying anything and left.

If there's one thing I hate is when a person gives you their opinion when you haven't asked for it.  Sometimes, the best thing to do is "shut up" and mind your own business.  Last time I checked, any and every one is free to buy whatever they want without the cashier worrying about it.  But then again, it's idiots like him that don't know any better and this is a pity and shame.  SMH...

No comments: