Sunday, March 11, 2012

Life Of An Insomniac


It sucks when I can't go to sleep, but then it's nothing new to me.  It started from the time I was a toddler; so I've been told by my parents.  For the first four years of my life, we lived in the city that never sleeps. I guess it was because of our previous location, both of my parents were night owls at the time so it was only natural that I became one early in life which has carried over into my adult years.

As I've become older, I find it harder and harder to fall asleep on certain nights of the week...mainly Saturdays and Sundays.  Why, I don't know.  I currently take a prescription medication to help with the neuropathy pain in my right leg stemming from diabetes that usually helps me go to sleep, but as usual I'm wide awake on this Saturday night.  And it doesn't help that I know an hour will be lost in just a few minutes due to Daylight Savings Time.  

Then again, I have a fast-paced job that exposes me to large amounts of stress in my daily duties that keep me so wired that I continue to have insomnia even when I'm off on the weekends. 

I've been to numerous doctors about this problem and they have all told me the same thing: lighten up on the caffeine (never been a coffee drinker and only drink caffeine-free diet soft drinks), make sure you don't leave your television on when you go to bed, don't read in bed, and don't use your computer in bed.  I've done all of these things and yet nothing has worked.  I was in bed earlier but decided to get back up and come into the main room to use my desktop computer and not my laptop and I'm still wide awake. 

Did I mention it sucks when I can't go to sleep?

CC
XOXOXO

No comments: